Tuesday, September 11, 2012

My Second Greatest Journey...

Five years ago this month, I saw this person who just had something about him that cannot be put into words, but it made me want to know him better. After the first time we were able to really spend time together, I knew I wanted to see him again. After the second time, I knew I loved him. He had this way of making you feel like you were the only person alive and still does to this day. Even though I had been married before and even though I had been in relationships before, that is a feeling I sadly have to say, I had never felt, but it was something I liked. This man makes me feel as though nothing in the world could ever harm me. He always has wonderful things to say and ALWAYS makes me feel beautiful. Never mind the fact that the majority of the time I don't believe him, it never has mattered. He has never stopped trying. The ways in which he helps me cannot even be counted which he deserves more credit than the average person because when he signed up for this, the majority of the medical issues I have now, I didn't have then, but that has never changed his mind in anyway. He is not your typical man around the house. I have NEVER had to fight him to do dishes or laundry or simple picking up or bathrooms or vacuuming or taking out the trash or any of the other normal household chores. We split all the household duties because luckily for me, he is not one of those who believes, men are incapable or excused from such things simply for being a man!

More importantly to me, it is how he is with my children and has been with them since day one. Being a parent is one thing, but being a step-parent is something completely different because in those cases the person is making a choice to love a child that they don't have to. This man took my three children as his own and NEVER looked back. I know there are times when men decided to be with women and look at her children as "necessary baggage" or a sort of consequence for getting to be with the women. Honestly there are times, I feel like the necessary baggage...lol...for he is a true kid at heart. He loves to read with them, throw the football or the baseball or a tennis ball or even a ping pong ball, anything as long as it has to do with sports. He coaches their teams, puts together puzzles, go to their school events, eats lunch with them at school, and in every way is just as big a cheerleader for them as I am.

That person is Bradley Dennis and five years ago he made my life as an "I" a life as a "we" and nearly two years ago, he did me the honor of giving me his last name. I say this has been my second greatest journey because of course motherhood was my first, but the fast years have not been an easy one for him or I. We have watched as people have made comments to us about our choice in spouses, some have questioned and continue to question how we feel for one another, listened as people have said ugly things about one or both of us, stood by as people have judged us, some people have made attempts to persuade us to undue our choices, and we have even watched as some people have exited our lives. None of these being strangers or mere acquaintances, but people who we thought would support us. I don't have a past some find desirable or even acceptable. That fact has been used to question my motives for loving Brad and even used to decide I am not capable of loving him the way he deserves. Those events made me who I am and who I am is a person who loves Brad for Brad whether others accept that or not. My heart has hurt for Brad so many times because when I look at what a pure, good, giving, wonderful soul he has, he deserves so much better than he has gotten.

The fact is I can't do anything about the opinions of others, but what I say to Brad is this. At the end of the day, there are only three of us in this relationship, you, me, and God. As far as myself and God, I know how much we love and adore you and we are not going anywhere (I don't think he would care if I said that much for him...lol). I love you more today than I did yesterday and I will more tomorrow than I do today. It's only been five years, but I am more than ready for the next 50! As far as everyone else, well, shame on you! Regardless I know what they have lost and what we have gained! I love you BIG!!!

                                                             Our first picture together!

No comments:

Post a Comment